I’ve been able to get my iPhone to perform quite a few interesting tasks by clicking what I call the “improbability button *” on the iPhone headset. As of this point, I’ve seen no prototype for similar function on Android phones. Apple may really have an advantage here…
*with thanks to Douglas Adams “The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy”
I recently looked up the official list of headset functions. I’ve also discovered some additional functions through my research. I’ve noted the official and unofficial functions here as a public services. If you’ve found any additional functions, please let me know and I’ll add it to the list.Play or pause a song or video:
- Press the center button once. Press again to resume playback.
- Press the center button twice quickly.
- Press the center button twice quickly and hold.
- Press the center button three times quickly.
- Press the center button three times quickly and hold.
- Press the center button once to answer. Press again to end the call.
- Hold down the center button for about two seconds, then let go. When you let go, two low beeps confirm you declined the call.
- Press the center button once. Press again to switch back tothe first call.
- Hold down the center button for about two seconds, then let go. When you let go, two low beeps confirm you ended the first call.
- Quickly click the middle and minus button in succession 3 times middle/”minus”, middle/”minus”, middle/”minus”.
- Quickly click the “minus” button 5 times, stomp your feet twice, pray
- Quickly hit the “plus” button seven times and shout “I Deny This Reality”
- Click all three buttons at the same time, stomp on their foot
- Click and hold “plus” button, scream like a hoot owl, press center button once to hang up. (Then call back and say, “not sure what happened there, hate that AT&T”)
- Press “minus” button until your hand turns blue, then call the intellectual property police and have them harass the media outlets who worship you.
- Sorry, no button for that. Fixing a reputation after you’ve disappointed those who worship you is highly improbable.